I love everything networked and distributed: from networked systems and their security issues to robust algorithms that can hack large-scale problems. I lead the FROOT lab to make systems Faster, more Future-pROOf, and more Trustworthy.
I am an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at the University of Maryland, College Park. My research has won interdisciplinary recognitions, including USENIX FAST Best Paper Award, USENIX ATC “Best of Rest”, and ACM STOC “Best of Rest”.
*I’m looking for self-motivated students (ugrad, master’s, phd) who are interested in building systems of any scale and understanding the Internet. If you are passionate about these, check out our graduate programs at UMD CS and drop me an email with your CV! For PhD applicants, you may check out this.
- [09/2023] Investigation agent to appear in HotNet’23. Congrats to Lesley and Nengneng!
- [08/2023] TrustSketch to appear in NDSS’24. Congrats to the team!
- [07/2023] OctoSketch to appear in NSDI’24. Congrats to Yinda and Peiqing!
- [05/2023] Tulkun to appear in SIGCOMM’23. Congrats to the team!
- [05/2023] I will be joining UMD CS this fall. Excited to meet you at the DMV area!
- [01/2023] Panakos to appear in VLDB’23. Congrats to the team!
- [01/2023] Thanks Red Hat for the 2023 Red Hat Collaboratory Research Awards!
- [12/2022] Two systems Arya and Sketchovsky to appear in NSDI’23. Congrats to the team!
- [09/2022] NitroSketch and its SIMD variation have been deployed in DPDK. We would like to seek your feedback on the performance!
- [09/2022] I’m teaching Cloud Computing at BU. Please reach out to me if you are interested in mentoring student projects.
- [07/2022] Hydra to appear in VLDB’22. Congrats to the team!
- [06/2022] Ran, Vova, Michael, and I are giving a tutorial about data-plane algorithms at SIGMETRICS’22.
- [05/2022] Excited to co-chair the Telemetry Working Group via MOC and Red Hat. We are calling for participation and committeed to open telemetry!
- [05/2022] Zeying will be interning at Microsoft Research this summer.
- [04/2022] NSDI’22 will be my first in-person conference since a while ago. Let’s meet up!
- [03/2022] I’m co-organizing the 3rd FFSPIN workshop at SIGCOMM’22. Submit your work!
- [12/2021] Thanks Red Hat for the 2022 Red Hat Collaboratory Research Incubation Award!
- [11/2021] Excited to receive research grant from Microsoft to work on data-driven optimization for 5G at BU. Thanks, Microsoft!
- [08/2021] Excited to lead a NSF CNS medium project on future-proof telemetry. Thanks, NSF!
- [08/2021] Precise telemetry error estimation paper to appear in IMC’21. Congrats to Peiqing!
- [08/2021] Excited to receive NSF SaTC and CNS grants to work on optics-enabled defense and data-driven network management. Thanks, NSF!
- [06/2021] HeteroSketch and SketchLib papers to appear in NSDI’22. Congrats to the team!
- [05/2021] CocoSketch to appear in SIGCOMM’21. Congrats to the team!
- [03/2021] NitroSketch is integrated into Intel DPDK load balancer product! Check out Yipeng and Chenmin’s talk (slides) at DPDK Summit.
- [02/2021] Jaqen to appear in USENIX Security’21. Valar dohaeris!
I’m broadly interested in networked and data-intensive systems. I design, implement, evaluate systems and algorithmic tools for telemetry/analytics, machine learning, and network security.
(Network) Analytics Algorithms and Data Systems
- Sketch-based Telemetry for Multicore and Distributed Systems [OctoSketch, NSDI’24]
- Distributed Data Plane Verification [Tulkun, SIGCOMM’23]
- Quantile and Tail Measurements for Multidimensional Data Streams [Panakos, VLDB’23]
- Sketch-based Telemetry for Heterogeneous/Dynamic Networks [HeteroSketch, NSDI’22]
- Arbitary Partial Key Queries on Network Hardware [CocoSketch, SIGCOMM’21]
- Precise Error Estimation for Sketch Analytical Queries [ErrorEstimator, IMC’21]
- Future-Proof Analytics for Low-Power Sensors [Joltik, MobiCom’20]
- Interval-based Network Queries [IQ-Sketch, SIGMETRICS’20]
- Sketch-based Telemetry for High-Speed Networks [NitroSketch, SIGCOMM’19]
- Future-Proof Sketch-based Telemetry [UnivMon, SIGCOMM’16]
Approximate Computing Systems
- Apprximate Graph Mining with Decomposition-based Sampling [Arya, NSDI’23]
- General Ensembles of Sketch-Based Analytics on Hardware [Sketchovsky, NSDI’23]
- General Multidimensional Subpopulation (Data Cube) Analytics [Hydra, VLDB’22]
- Efficient Library to Deploy Various Sketches on Hardware [SketchLib, NSDI’22]
- Distributed Load Balancing for Data Centers [DistCache, FAST’19]
- Distributed Approximate Graph Mining [ASAP, OSDI’18]
Programmable Networks / Network Security